Monday, October 19, 2009

My monthly checkup

I had my monthly checkup today. Heard the baby's heartbeat. Fast and strong. My main concern was the flu shot. When I asked Diane (the nurse) about getting the shot, she said "which one? the seasonal or the H1N1?" Dang, now I had to make a decision. I wanted only the seasonal, but knew, since i am pregnant, I needed to get the H1N1. And I KNEW what J would want me to do, get both. But I had/have serious reservations about this shot. Something the government is providing/pushing, and is FREE? It was rushed to the market. It is so new. Legislation was created to protect the makers in case of the worst. Not enough is known. etc. But I am in one of the high risk categories. And there are lines of people waiting for the shot when it comes available all around the country. And there it was, for the taking. I found it discomforting that every healthcare worker I asked in the office this morning had not gotten the shot. With answers like "I will wait a bit" and "Not yet" and my fav, when asked what she suggested, Diane said "I got the seasonal." And left it at that. If the healthcare workers aren't jumping at the chance to get it....why should we, the guinea pigs?

So what to do? I talked at length with Dr. Thornburg, who told me what the AMA and Women's groups and all the other doc groups were saying: Get it. She asked my reservations, I told her, she assured me it is made the same way the seasonal is made, etc.

I got it. Gut feeling tells me i shouldn't have. I hope I am wrong.

If it were just me, I would risk it this winter. I am not in the age group of concern. But I have a baby at home. And one in the oven. I have to think of them.

Now both arms are sore because one went in the right, one went in the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment